Overseas Shipping Company – FAQ’s

Q?How can I find out what items I can bring to the country of my destination? Are there any specific requirements for my boat or my car?

Every country has its own rules for the cargo that can be imported. Most of the times we can provide you with a short list of regulations but it’s always a good idea to check with Embassy or Consulate or local Customs for specific requirements. Please, remember: what works in one country maybe prohibited in the other. Some countries restrict certain items, or require modulations to the vehicle; some of electric appliances may not work in other countries.

Q?What happens when the cargo arrives at destination?

We will make sure you have all required documentation well before the cargo arrives at destination. You will be notified by shipping agent a few days prior to the arrival. There will be destination port charges and unloading fees payable to the handling agent. We can always provide an estimate of those charges or put you in contact with our handling agent to get an estimate. It is also required to clear your cargo through the local Customs.

Q?How long does the shipment take?

It depends on the point of origin & destination and the service you’re using. May take from 2 weeks to 8 weeks.

Q?Is my cargo insured during the transport?

Marine insurance is optional and provided upon request of the shipper. Your cargo is NOT automatically insured. There are 2 types of coverage: Total Loss (Clause C) and All Risk (Clause A). Total Loss only covers the cases when the cargo is completely lost, i.e. loss, theft, fire, etc. All Risk includes Total Loss plus it covers damages. Marine insurance is usually calculated as a percentage of the declared value of the cargo.

Q?What documents does the shipping company provide?

The movement of cargo is being documented at a number of points: when cargo is picked up by trucking company a report is taken, when the cargo is delivered to the port or warehouse – dock receipt is issued, when the cargo sails on the vessel – ocean bill of lading is provided. We also create all other related documents: Power of Attorney, bill of sale, shipping contract, packing list, Customs letter, export declaration, etc.

Q?What documents are required to export a vehicle overseas?

According to the Customs Regulations 19 CFR, persons or entities seeking to export self-propelled vehicles are required to present to U.S. Customs, at least 3 working days before export, both the vehicle and a document describing that vehicle. Please, note that this rule applies to “motorized vehicles designed to be used on land”, so by this token boats, towable trailers, campers, etc. won’t require title clearance.

For U.S. Titled Vehicles the owner must provide a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title. If vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists, the provisional owner must provide a separate writing from the lien holder which expressly states that vehicle may be exported. For newly manufactured vehicles that are purchased from a U.S. manufacturer, distributor, or dealer a Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) must be provided.

For Foreign-Titled Vehicles the owner must provide the original document (with an English translation) that provides satisfactory proof of ownership.

Q?Can your company organize the delivery of the vehicle to the port or warehouse?

Yes, we use fully insured specialized trucking and drive-away companies for the pick up and delivery from any point in US. It may take from 3 to 10 days to organize the pick up.

Q?When using the container service who’s arranging for the loading and securing of the vehicle?

We can deliver the container to you and you can do it yourself, or the vehicle needs to be delivered to the closest warehouse where it will be packed and secured by warehouse crew.

Q?Which option is cheaper and safer: Roll-on Roll-off or Container?

There’s no simple answer. In most cases Roll-on Roll-off shipping service (Ro-Ro) is cheaper but it’s limited only to a number of ports in US and destination ports, whereas container shipping service has much wider coverage. Most of the times your cargo will be shipped using Ro/Ro service due to the size of the cargo. Small boats, cars, jet-skis, motorcycles and other small machinery can fit inside the containers. Flat Rack container service is usually expensive and there’s always shortage of the equipment. Both services are safe.

Q?What choices do I have when shipping a vehicle overseas?

There are 2 shipping options: using Roll-on/Roll-off (RO/RO) service or Container service.
Ro-Ro service involves using the specialized vehicle carrier vessel when the cargo is rolled-on the vessel at the port of origin and rolled-off the vessel at the port of destination. Container service involves packing the vehicle inside the ocean container or on top of the FLAT RACK container and then placing the container on board of the container vessel.

Q?Who are your customers?

We’ve been providing shipping services to a wide range of customers: private shippers, military personnel, students, temporary workers, dealerships, brokers, eBay auctions sellers and buyers, insurance auctions, manufacturers, distributors, importers, non-profit organizations, and others. Basically anybody who needs to ship a car, motorcycle, boat, truck, motor home, commercial freight, household goods from USA to international destinations. We’re “travel agents” for your cargo.

Q?What is the difference between container and roll-on roll-off shipping?

Container services involves packing your cargo inside the standard ocean container and then the container is loaded on the container carrier.
Roll-on roll-off service involves no containers at all. The ocean vessel has multiple levels that accommodate cargo of different sizes. Vehicles, trucks, boats on trailers, etc are simply rolled in at the port of origin and roll-off at the port of destination.